Sunday, December 19, 2010

To Post, or not to Post... (or TMI?)

So in the course of authoring my very first blog post, it occurred to me that the world of Algore's Amazing Internetz has become a tad more scary over the years; in terms of personal privacy that is.  In layman's English, I was posting the information we have received about our new daughter and it hit me that I might be putting too much personal info online.  Could someone use this information for nefarious purposes?

I know I could get around a lot of my concerns by restricting access to the blog, but I'm trying to intentionally leave it "open".  When we went to get Lucy, our blog was open only to "authorized users" and it meant that some people never got to our blog.  In the years since, many of our technology-phobic friends have gingerly entered the waters of Facebook and other social media.  We want to reach as many of these friends as possible, so restricting access isn't the preferred control method.

Another method of keeping information private is to use code for the individuals mentioned. DH, DW, DD, etc. are used on many blogs.  Heck, even the Secret Service uses code names for the people they protect (despite the fact that the code names are public information about 30 seconds after they're first assigned).  Yet, I don't think I want to require anyone reading this to have to use a decoder ring.  My everyday rantings confuse most everyone as it is.  Using "CB handles" or "call signs" would border on absurd.  And not on the good side of absurd either.

That leaves the old-fashioned approach of just keeping some information private - an almost heretical notion on the Information Superhighway.  Thus the challenge becomes how to share as much information as possible with the world with neither restricting the blog to "members only", nor writing in some weird code language.

For right now, I'm choosing to use first names for my family, but nothing more. I have to presume that you already know a little of who we are, especially if you are taking the time to suffer through my ramblings.  If you need more details, let me know.  I'll post the extra information, if I'm comfortable; otherwise, I'll email you the answers.  If I decide to alter my blog security strategery, I'll let you know in advance so I can start compiling a user list. Hopefully we can avoid that nuisance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whaddaya got somethin' ta say???